Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Social media and evil exposure

     Sometimes, especially more lately, I feel constantly exposed to evil.  I guess TV can be blamed for some of it, but I think social media is probably a bigger culprit.

     This thought came to life last night.  Normally if I'm scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, etc. I'm only looking at those that I have intentionally connected to.   This creates kind of a safe atmosphere.

     But, I took a stroll off of the beaten path on twitter when I clicked on tweets and users that were nearby.  I wish I hadn't done that.  What I found were a bunch of people younger than me that were publicly posting about a mix of a bunch of depravity.  It was almost as if I had stumbled onto the social media feed from Sodom and Gomorrah.  Foul language, self degredation, anger, violence, and on and on.

      I was a cop for many years, so none of what was said hurt my delicate sensibilities.  What was disturbing was that there were no posts that were redeeming.  It was a melting pot of......I'm not sure what word fits.  It was just bad, evil.  Some were hurting and crying out.  Some were angry and threatening.  Some were lost.  Just....bad.

      If this is what is lying under the surface of our country then we are in serious trouble, very serious trouble.  It is a problem that is bigger than any of us or government can handle.  It's a problem only God can address.

     I vividly remember getting these kind of vibes from some of the more violent people that I have arrested.  It's disturbing to get the same feeling from kids living around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment